Friday, May 13, 2011

Derek Boogaard Found Dead at age 28

I never thought when I began this blog I would have to report on the death of a player, nor did I ever want to. But Im afraid this is no rumor, Derek Boogaard, the Rangers enforcer of 22 games this season was found dead in his apartment, at age 28.

Boogaard was a very unique player. Its fairly obvious that he wasn't the most skilled player, tallying his first goal since 2007 this season against the Washington Capitals. Boogaard was a physical powerhouse, and was garnered around the league as being the most intimidating person to play against. Every time he stepped onto the ice, the other players noticed. 

I never had the pleasure of seeing Boogaard play in person, but his mystique caught my attention long before he came to the Rangers. I remember hearing about this guy called "The Boogey Man" who was apparently the most feared NHLer on the ice. When I found out who he was when he was still on the Minnesota Wild, I instantly became a fan. I looked up a lot of his fights, and his commercials that made me laugh for minutes on end as well. The day I found out he was signed by the Rangers, I freaked out. I was so happy, and I didn't care that he was considered overpaid. He was my favorite NHL enforcer, and I could not wait to see him lay-ith the smack down on the Rangers' opponents.

I am truly sad, and I pray that I never have to write one of these articles ever again. As a fan, I love the Rangers and never want to see anything like this ever happen. I send my regards to all of Boogaard's family and friends, and wish them well during these hard times.

Farewell, buddy. This shot will go down in infamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment