Monday, March 7, 2011

Why Ryan Callahan Should Be Made Captain

Following up on yesterdays comments about me wishing Ryan Callahan should be made captain of the New York Rangers, I figured I would back up my reasoning today.

Now let the record show, I'm not going off one day of performance on my selection. I believe I touched on this in the article where I announced Drury's latest injury.

However, this is something that I feel needs to happen for the good of the team. I do not wish to bash Chris Drury's captaincy abilities, but I believe that his ship has sailed, and the team needs a fresh leader. This team has showed that they are on the brink of being a very good hockey team. One thing missing from their credentials however, is a captain who embodies the teams personality. The Rangers have grown into a full -blown "blue collar" team, that works for every goal, every possession, and you can just tell leaves everything on the ice when the game is done. Ryan Callahan has exhibited that persona from day one of this season.

A captain is someone who can be looked upon as a centerpiece, and a threat when other teams look at the team. Thats something that Chris Drury's zero goals and four assists on this season will not accomplish ever. Ever since his overtime winner in Pittsburgh, Ryan Callahan has exhibited poise, maturity, and skill in every game he has played. He has matured before the Gardens eyes, and its time he earned the prestige that comes with all of his hard work.

In my opinion, Drury's should be relieved as the captain for the Rangers before the playoffs start, which the Rangers WILL make. this shake up in the leadership could serve as a catalyst for the opposing team, as well as bolster and encourage the rest of the Rangers lineup.

However, my dreams are very unlikely, and Drury will probably remain in his captaincy for the rest of the season. But come next October, Callahan will be wearing the 'C' on his jersey, mark my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment