Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Rangers Fan Reality Check: Calm Down, People

I'm starting to write this in the waning moments of the Penguins game, so if the Rangers win, this is all just irrelevant.

The Rangers lost badly to the Penguins tonight, and just like clockwork, I see everyone I know on every fan page freaking out over one loss. We here at the Clinic are here to plead with you: put your pants back on and relax you crazy people.

Years of following the Rangers has taught me a lot about myself. It taught me to not be too emotionally attached to games, because if you are and you are a Rangers fan, you're going to be more testy that a high school girl during that time of the month. It taught me that some problems cannot be solved with drastic changes to any environment; hence why most lucrative free-agent signings for the Rangers never panned out. And most importantly, it taught me to respect a good thing when I have it.

The game is not even over, and I have already seen #wewantavery or #wewantnash on Twitter and Facebook. People are freaking out over this one game, and it frankly annoys the living crap out of me. Why am I not upset? Because it's a small ripple of the season. Yes, I'm not happy that they lost, but I'm not frustrated to the point where I suggest we overhaul the team over a loss to a very good hockey team.



The Penguins are not a bad hockey team. They are not an opponent to be taken lightly. They are dangerous as hell, which is why I predicted they might win tonight. And now people are suggesting we drop half the roster to get a player that could cripple the chemistry of a team that just lost it's 20th total game tonight by trading all of the core players for him (Nash)? Or calling up a players who's contribution he would bring to the team could literally be measured in millimeters (Avery)? Are you kidding me?!

Avery has served his purpose on this team. His antics were fun when the Rangers were struggling to get to a .500 record. Calling him up would be taking a step backwards, I don't care how funny or entertaining on the ice he is. And trading Dubinsky, Kreider, picks and more for Rick Nash would hurt the team more than it would benefit. It is not that I do not want Rick Nash, I don't want his price-tag and the players who are going to be critical parts for the Rangers.

We Rangers fans have never seen the rate of winning going on like this since that one year in the 90's we all know. A loss is a loss. This team has shown its resiliency through bad losses time and time again this season. If you would all just calm your asses and respect what this group of players has been able to accomplish this year, you'd wake up and realize that drastic changes should not be made over one loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment