Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Emergency Resuscitation: The New York Rangers Power Play

Yes, I chose the name of this blog so I could make cheesy doctor seg-ways and jokes. What of it?

Before I start ranting, I will admit this. The New York Rangers power play is not abysmal, but lacking when the team needs it most.

I find myself more times than not screaming at my television when the Rangers fail to convert on a power play in a close game which ultimately ends up biting the players in the ass. Sometimes, I feel they should be able to decline the power plays, like in football. (shout out to Vin Corrao for giving me that idea)

But like I said, It could definitely be much worse. The Rangers are in 18th place on the power play percentage among the league, tied with Boston at 15.8%.

The absence of Chris Drury and Vinny Prospal are felt most when the Rangers are up a man. Drury's clutch goals and Prospal's awareness are truly missed every time the puck manages to get out of the Rangers zone.

However, the Rangers have 15 goals on the power play and have only let up one shorthanded goal. To me, I see the glass half full, but the Rangers must learn to convert on the power play more often if they wish to continue winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment