Thursday, November 25, 2010

A New York Rangers Thanksgiving!

As I'm waiting for my grandmother to hurry up cooking my Thanksgiving feast, I started thinking about what I'm thankful for as a Ranger fan

And after that embarrassing beating the boys took last night, its kind of hard to focus on the good points, but there are a few Id like to point out that all other Rangers fans should take notices of.

I am thankful for John Tortorella. Ever since he became the Rangers' new head coach, Ive always felt right about the team even in times of complete and utter failure. Because you know he would be giving them an earful after the game was over. John expects 100% from our team night in and night out and will work them tirelessly to get that, and I am all for implementing a little discipline after that pushover Renney left such a laid back image on the Rangers.

I am thankful for Marian Gaboriks health. I know he has been struggling lately, but in all honesty, Id rather have him on the ice than on the bench. Hes a scoring threat no matter who he plays against, and is a true thrill to watch all the time.

I am thankful for secondary scoring. Last season, if the Rangers would have not had Gaborik scoring 20 something percent of their goals, they would have been worse off than the Islanders are right now. Dubinsky, Anisimov, Callahan, and Boyle have all stepped up this season and have provided the Rangers with some much needed depth.

I am thankful for Ilya Kovalchuk, single handedly sucking the life out of the Devils one dollar at a time.

I am thankful for not having a shootout victory this season so far. After the way last season ended on Olli Jokinens stick, the Rangers have learned to squash a game in regulation or overtime, which is a big sigh of relief. The pain that comes from watching the Rangers going into a shootout is a cascade of uncertainty and anxiety. And I am very happy that they have learned to leave it all on the ice, and not in the shootout.

Most importantly, I am thankful for our goaltending corps. Henrik Lundqvist and Martin Biron have become a fearsome tandem in the NHL, and while Henrik hasn't been putting up ridiculous numbers like he has in the past, he is still a solid goaltender who I would not want to leave any time soon. Martin Biron is also a sigh of relief, for the Rangers now have someone competent they can turn to when the you-know-what hits the fan. Not every night is going to be a victory, and not every night is going to be an easy win, which is why I am glad to have both of these goaltenders minding the Rangers net.

I'd also like to wish everyone who reads this blog a safe, and happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your food, 'cus I know I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment