Sunday, February 13, 2011

2/13/11 Rangers vs. Penguins

This stretch of losses has zapped my creative juices.

Rangers against the Pittsburgh Penguins.

The Rangers have now gone seven straight games without winning, and four straight games without a point. It is getting really frustrating watching this team fumble like they are currently. Their final point came against Pittsburgh on the 1st of February after losing to the Penguins in a shootout. In all honesty, I have no idea what the hell is going on with the Rangers. All of these losses have each been a mystery to me. It does not make sense to me how a team can go from pretty good while being so depleted to injuries, to nearly fully healthy and lose seven straight. Not only that, but they haven't been horrible losses either. Every game the Rangers have lost on this stretch has been a game where the Rangers were still in it until the very end.

The Penguins are in the spot the Rangers were in a few weeks ago, being depleted by injuries to key players. Crosby, Malkin, Letestu, Jordin Staal, Eric Tangradi, and Dustin Jeffery are all out with injuries. Along with that, super pest Matt Cooke has been suspended for this meeting, along with Eric Godard. However, despite all of those injuries, the Penguins still beat the Rangers in nearly every stat. Along with that, the Penguins haven't lost at MSG in their last five visits. However, the Penguins did have to deal with a bit of a brawl two nights ago on Long Island after the Islanders exploded with a 9-3 victory and and a full on brawl at the end of the game. Could the Pens be tired out from that? Potentially.

My Diagnosis


This losing streak is not terminal, but it is a problem. I give the Rangers more trust tonight than I would have if Crosby or Malkin were in, but I think it will still be tough for them to win. I see this game ending in either overtime or a shootout, but as to which team will win it, I have no clue. I will just sit and watch and see if the Rangers can take advantage of all of the Penguins shortcomings.

Enjoy the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment