Monday, February 14, 2011

Recapping the Rangers/Penguins

Five minutes into the period, I turned this game off.

I was not about to watch the Rangers get trampled by a Crosby/Malkin-less Penguins team for a second time. But then, a few minutes after I tuned out, a text from a good friend showed me signs of life. I turned on my television once again.

Then, Sir Ryan Callahan tipped another goal in to tie the game at two, followed by three goals all in succession. I could not believe my eyes. A team that went 0 for 6 on the power-play against the Canadiens earlier this week had scored three power-play goals in one game.

The Rangers are a very "when it rains, it pours" kind of team this season. If Marian Gaborik scores one goal in a game, more times than not he scores a second. If the Rangers start to struggle, they struggle badly. If they get their power-play going early, it will continue to click. Thats the way it has been for the Rangers all season long. The only thing they have struggled with, is consistency when it comes to clicking on all pages.

Last nights game was a good starting point. A reconciliation if you will. the Rangers exercised their demons in one night against the Penguins, and managed to come away with a much needed two points to keep them in the playoff hunt. 

Can the Rangers hold it together for the Devils? It would be easier to do since the Devils would be an easier opponent than the injury depleted Penguins, but only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment