Monday, December 6, 2010

More Than A Feeling

Even though I gave the Rangers the win in my prediction yesterday, I had the feeling in the back of my mind that they were going to drop that game. I just had this feeling that they would come out and play like they were still playing against the Islanders. They weren't skating hard, controlling their passes, or playing with confidence. These things would not be as trivial to a loss if they were playing against the Islanders. But they were not playing the Islanders. They were playing against a team that has legitimate threats on their team.

The Rangers need to look at yesterdays loss as a lesson learned. No matter who you play, do not anticipate the team to be as bad as their standing placement is. Before every game, know who the team your playing is, and adapt to ways that you could beat them. The tactics a player uses in a 2-0 shutout of the Islanders are not going to work against a team like the Red Wings or Capitals.

And, once again, the Rangers get bit in the ass during "heart attack time". I don't know what it is about this team, but around five minutes remaining in the 3rd period, everyone turns into someone different. Its like when you watch football and a team who is barely winning goes into this "prevent defense" mode. This is not the team of 2008-2009, who went 10-6 in the shootout. These boys should be playing for the two point victory in regulation time, and no points given to the opponent for stale-mating them all game. In the words of Herm Edwards, former coach of the *puke* New York Jets, "you play to win the game".

In Other News...


Bill Guerin has announced his retirement from hockey today. I find this quite unfortunate, because despite him playing for every team in our conference (I loosely count the Flyers, but it counts), I liked Bill Guerin as a player. Even when I watched Pittsburgh win the Cup, a team which I thoroughly despise, I liked watching Bill Guerin play. He was an every man of hockey, and will truly be missed. I tip my hat to you, Mr. Guerin.

No comments:

Post a Comment